.

.

Monday, December 5, 2011

Pacifiers.

I love doing this whole mommy blog thing. I love hearing your guys's feedback and that you share your personal experiences. I was so excited when after my first blog I had 5 comments from people who were so pumped to think I'd be doing this.

Next topic;; Pacifiers.

When Mason was first born, he wasn't into pacifiers at all but I always kept one on me for emergency reasons. Plane rides, restaurants, and Mason hated being in his carseat so it helped quiet him down during that time too. However I hated using pacifiers because I couldn't see him smile, his facial expressions, and I wouldn't be able to hear his cute little voice when he cooed. 

Lots of people have different things to say about when to stop using pacifiers. Some say you shouldn't use them at all, after 4 months stop, after a year. Mason is going to be 2 in a few days and he still uses it sometimes and I'm not the least bit concerned with it. 

Pros
Reduces the chance of SIDS (Sudden infant death syndrome)
Soothes and comforts baby.
Sleep Aid- Can help the baby fall asleep when he/she is struggling.
Habit Forming- It can be easier to break your child off of a pacifier than it is to break them off of sucking their thumb or fingers

Cons
It can interfere with breastfeeding if the pacifier is used too early. 
Can increase the risk of ear infection
Can change the babies tooth alignment or delay speech 

Need help with getting your child from using a pacifier?
Offer rewards everytime the child doesn't use a pacifier. 
Only use it for nap time or bed time.
Spend time with other children who do NOT use pacifiers. Children are very observant.
Make up a pacifier story. 
The Pacifier Fairy story- The Pacifier fairy (treat it just like the tooth fairy) Tell him/her to put the pacifier under his/her pillow and the tooth fairy will come and take it and leave a special treat.
Pacifier Wish- Take your toddler to a wishing well/fountain and tell them that if they throw the pacifier in and make a wish, their wish will come true.

I used Nuk pacifiers with the animal faces

They were so cute and fun.

I also used Avent (same as bottles)

So, when do you think a child should stop using pacifiers or does it not matter because they'll eventually stop anyways. Love to hear your thoughts!

2 comments:

  1. I hate them! They are just annoying and. a stupid piece of plastic. Like you said you can't see there beautiful smile

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly i found them to be fantastic with my own kids as well as the kids i work with.

    Personally i feel that each child is different and some don't seem to want or need it, however that really depends on when you are introducing it and how you use it.

    I introduced cherry shaped tommee tippee dummies to my kids as these where an easier shape for them to hold in their mouth from a few days old. I would only give it to them when they were going to sleep. Apparently dummies can also decrease the risk of SIDS because the suckling keeps them in the REM sleep however, they spit it out when they were in a deep sleep anyways

    Plus when bubs are teething they seem to be in so much pain they will chew on anything so why not give them something to chew on if it comforts them and helps soften their gums.

    ReplyDelete