.

.

Thursday, December 8, 2011

SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome)

I read a comment on my blog post from earlier about how one of my fans had read about Lamar's son dying from SIDS and they were interested in hearing/learning more about it. Lamar's son Jayden died at 6 1/2 months old from SIDS and I had a family member who passed from it as well. As a mother it was one of my biggest fears (besides rolling over onto him while sleeping) I could never imagine going to check in on my baby to find them not breathing. If Mason was ever in a deep sleep you could barely hear him breathing and it drove me insane. I'd check him every 5-10 minutes to make sure his chest was moving and I could feel air.

There are many risk factors when it comes to SIDS. Some before the babies birth, some after.

Before Birth Risk Factors
  • Lack of prenatal care
  • exposure to nicotine.
  • Mother under the age of 20
  • Drug/alcohol use.
After Birth Risk Factors
  • Low Birth Weight
  • Mold
  • Exposure to tobacco smoke
  • Prone sleep position
There have also been studies that show baby boys are more likely to die of SIDS than females. They are most vulnerable during their second and third month of life. If you have family members who have died of SIDS, the chances that your baby will die of it are higher than if you didn't know someone who had. They also found African Americans, American Indians, and Eskimo infants are more likely to have it too.

Avoiding SIDS
  • Buy a SIDS baby monitor
  • Make sure your baby falls asleep on his/her back.
  • Stay healthy during pregnancy.
  • Don't allow smoking around your infant.
  • Ensure the right bedding is in the crib
  • Avoid making your infant overheat
  • Make sure babys room is ventilated properly
  • Also, a big one is to keep toys, blankets, stuffed animals, ect out of the babys crib.
 I hope none of you ever have to experience such a terrible tragedy as this and if you already have, I am so terribly sorry for your loss. I can not even begin to imagine what it's like. God bless <3

4 comments:

  1. I read somewhere a spiritual take on SIDS which kinda challenged my way of thinking. I'm still not sure how i feel about it.

    But they say that babies who don't sleep in the same room as their mum are at higher risk of SIDS because they don't feel the connection. Apparently as a result of feeling disconnected to their mother source their soul goes back to where it came from.

    Apparently some Doula's are being taught this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It means SO much to me that you took the time to read my comment and share with everyone what SIDS is really about! :) It is such an awful syndrome and I can't even begin to imagine anyone going through that. My heart goes out to those who have suffered through this.

    xoxo

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. my family and i went through this </3 thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i lost my little girl, Aubrey, in 2009 from SIDS.she was going to turn 2 months 2 days after her passing. i never knew much about it until it happened to me, now i try to get the word out and do what i can to help with research. i actually held a donation at my baby shower for our 2nd little girl in honor of her big sister. We named her Nevaeh Grace, because we believe she's heaven sent from our Angel. it is such a hard thing to go through, but it is so nice when people take the initiative to learn more about this horrible syndrome. thank you for taking notice in the post when the reader wanted to learn more.

    ReplyDelete