.

.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Word No.

When raising Mason, I was never a huge fan of the word "No!". Not when I said it and not when Mason says it either which lately that's all that seems to be coming out of his mouth.
I don't really know why I never liked the word. Maybe it's because every other parent when you go to the mall is screaming at their child "NO, Don't touch that" "No Don't do that" No, stay here" While Mason is looking at me with the "let's get out of here, mom" look.

It's isn't like I don't say it, it's just that I start with it and explain what he is doing is wrong and tell him why he can't do that. Some people think I'm crazy and are like yeah because a two year definitely understands you but in the long wrong, it's been more effective I've found. For example, if I catch Mason jumping on my bed (which I always do) I simply get down on his level and say "Honey, we can't do that. Because you could fall and get big boo boo's and mommy would not want that for you" Mason simply walks off and goes find something else to keep him busy.

I think a child needs to understand that what he's doing is wrong and why it's wrong for it to be fully effective. You need to be on their level (don't just tower above them)  and you need to have the toddler look at you when you speak to them, you need to look at them as well.

You can also redirect their attention to another task too. Simply say, that doesn't look fun, let's do this instead.

Another thing I have a strong dislike for is when parents say "That's inappropiate, or that's unacceptable. Stop and think, when you were anywhere between 2-4 were you ever going around talking about how inappropiate or unacceptable things were. Didn't think so.

It turns out that the average toddler hears the word "No" 400 times a day. A little excessive. By saying no your child can have poorer language skills then those kids who get positive influence. Another thing I've found that works is by saying yes. For example your child asks, Can I have candy? Your response, Yes but only after dinner. And then you pray to god they forget about it hahah.

But try these tips with your own child, I've found they've worked wonders for Mason and his behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment